• Kayla

Lost in London, England

Updated: Jan 30, 2021

One thing became extremely obvious to my roommates and I after living in England for a month. Everyone loves London. And we had to visit as soon as possible.


October 11, 2019

At 10:39am my roommates, Elise and Kat, and I boarded the train from Durham to London Kings Cross. We arrived around 1:40pm and went straight to our hotel to drop off our luggage.

We were busy with school and lacrosse and forgot to make our hotel reservation until the last second. Every reasonably priced hotel spiked up their rates and the less expensive Airbnbs were booked. After nearly two hours of searching the web for a place to stay, we found a single room on Victoria Station Hotel.

Although the price was right, cramming three bodies into a room with barely enough space for a double bed was an adventure in itself. To add to the drama, the room did not come with a bathroom and we had to travel down two flights of stairs to get to the showers and toilets. Nonetheless, we were happy to be in London for our first time and we were excited to start our weekend getaway!

Our first stop was Buckingham Palace, followed by a trip to The Grenadier, a favorite local bar, that my grandfather (Pop-Pop) recommended.

Afterwards we visited Harrods. Although I was amazed by all the designer shoes and bags, it was out of my budget. Dying to buy something from Harrods, we went to the gift shop and then the foodhall. I did not find anything worth buying at the gift shop; however, I found plenty of good food worth trying in the food hall.

Kat, Elise, and I ate sushi, pasta, and macaroons - weird combo, I know. Even though I ate a full meal at Harrods, we decided that we were in need of a second dinner. We stumbled upon Zia Teresa, an Italian restaurant, while we were shopping at Zara, New Look, and Top Shop.


October 12, 2019

In the morning, Kat, Elise, and I walked down the street to Coffee Addict, a cute, local coffee shop. Even though it was raining, we went to the London Bridge and the Tower Bridge. From the bridges, we saw the London Eye but decided that was not something we wanted to do in our short amount of time.

Next, we looked for Big Ben. Kat, Elise, and I put the location into our phones but couldn't seem to find it. To our disappointment, Big Ben was under construction and was not recognizable.

The rest of our day we spent eating our way through London. First, Kat, Elise, and I went to the Borough Market for lunch. There, we shared a bunch of different snacks. My favorite was definitely the Raclette on top of potatoes, served next to pickles.

After filling our stomachs at the Borough Market, Kat, Elise, and I walked to Chinatown. Once again, we found our mouths watering for more food when we walked past Bubblewrap, The United Kingdom's original Bubblewrap waffle, filled with ice cream and any topping one can imagine. Obviously, we stopped inside to each try one.

When it started to get dark, we met two of Kat's friends at Dirty Bones. At the time, we thought Dirty Bones was a cute English pub; however, once we got the menu we saw it was an "American Restaurant & Cocktail Bar." Even though we wanted the traditional London pub, we were happy with the menu and stayed at Dirty Bones for about an hour.

Next, we wanted to catch happy hour at a bougie bar. We searched the web and came across The Alchemist. Although the prices were high, we decided it would be worth it since the drinks were extraordinary. I went for the "Colour Changing One," and do not regret spending the extra few pounds to get a drink that changes color and has smoke coming out of it.

By the time we left The Alchemist, we were so full from all of the previous food. Instead of eating a big dinner, we went to the Tesco close to our hotel and grabbed snacks for later. Once we got back to the hotel, we changed into nicer clothes and went clubbing.


October 13, 2019

On our last day, Kat, Elise, and I woke up early to check out of our hotel and explore London as much as possible before our train ride home. Although I would not recommend staying at the Victoria Station Hotel, I was grateful that the front desk held our luggage for free while we walked around London.

Once we left the hotel, we went to Fuwa Fuwa for breakfast and enjoyed fluffy Japanese pancakes. To my surprise, we had to wait in a long line before getting our table. To kill time, Kat, Elise, and I took turns going into New Look.

After we ate our pancakes, we went to Carnaby Street and Covent Garden. To no one's surprise, we found more places to eat. First, we went to Seven Dials, an area of London with numerous restaurants. We came across Seven Dials when we were trying to find Neil's Homeslice. To get the best of both worlds, we first split a pizza at Neil's Homeslice and then enjoyed some foods from Seven Dials.

Before catching our train home, we grabbed our last bite to eat at Donut Time.

74 views2 comments

Recent Posts

See All